[cmake-developers] Please comment on ios-universal topic

Gregor Jasny gjasny at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:51:11 EST 2015

Hello,

On 02/12/15 13:44, Bartosz Kosiorek wrote:
> I would like to propose to rename property name to INSTALL_IOS_UNIVERSAL_LIBS.

My thoughts about the property name:

I added the necessary functionality to also combine Frameworks and App
Bundles. So the _LIBS suffix now got misleading. And I think that
providing a different property for libraries, frameworks and app bundles
is not really helpful. To combine all targets one could set the CMAKE_
prefixed variable, to combine only some, one could set the property on
the target itself.

Deploying applications which support both armv7 (32bit) and armv8
(64bit) is already working by setting both architectures in the
OSX_ARCHITECTURES property because both are covered by the device SDK.

So technically we already support UNIVERSAL libraries. What we don't
support is combining device and simulator builds. So how about replacing
UNIVERSAL with COMBINED?

IOS_INSTALL_COMBINED_BINARY

I'm not sure if dropping the IOS bundle currently makes sense. At the
moment just iOS (and watchOS, tvOS) is the odd platfrom which requires
work-arounds.

Thanks,
Gregor