[cmake-developers] cmake built-in support for iOS (with SDL2)

Peter List pem.list at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 19:20:36 EDT 2015

I was able to get my hello world (cmake + SDL2 + OpenGL ES 2) working on
iOS as an XCode project using this project (
https://github.com/cristeab/ios-cmake ) plus I used these two tutorials as
a reference - (
http://www.michaelborgmann.com/tutorials/build-sdl2-app-for-ios-using-cmake/ )
and ( http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/52_hello_mobile/ios_mac/index.php )

So now I have Windows, Linux, OSX, iOS, Android, Emscripten...  Windows
(vs2013-32b, mingw-32b) (ANGLE for GLES2).  Android on Windows (vs2010 with
nvidia tegra nsight) (no nmake or Android Studio yet).  Emscripten on
Windows.  Linux.  OSX (the only platform using desktop OpenGL instead of
GLES2).  iOS on OSX (XCode).

If someone wants to save time maybe start from this project (
https://github.com/michaelborgmann/xgamedev ).  I didn't try it but it
looks very promising.  Instead, I had some fun learning some cmake stuff
going through the exercise step-by-step.

I also got the feeling that cmake might be a little easier for new users to
adopt if cmake releases include more built-in support for more platforms,
especially for Android and iOS.  On a related issue, it's awesome that Qt
Creator comes with built-in cmake support.  Personally I wish Qt would
focus on contributing to cmake (and expanding Qt Creator's built-in cmake
support) instead of doing their own qmake and qbs :-)

thank you & best regards