[cmake-developers] problem installing cmake 3.3.1 on CentOS release 6.6 cluster

Adrian Jackson adrianj at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 18 11:06:59 EDT 2015

Hi,

---
Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this, please let me know.
---

I have encountered problems installing cmake 3.3.1 on our CentOS release
6.6 cluster.  It builds fine but when I come to install I get this error:

file INSTALL cannot copy file ... (this is for the copyright file).

I am install into a user directory that I have the correct permissions
to install in.  It does create the file but the file is empty and the
install terminates.

After some hacking around in the code I found that I can get it to
successfully install if I reduce the size of the buffer used in the
install copy process from 4096 to 512.  This is, change line 2314 of
cmake-3.3.1/Source/kwsys/SystemTools.cxx from

  const int bufferSize = 4096;

  const int bufferSize = 512;

I thought that might indicate a stack limit problem, but this even
happens when my stack is unlimited.

Any idea what's going wrong with the build/install?  Note, I'm using gcc
4.8.0 but some of the system tools and libraries are quite old.

thanks

adrianj

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.