[cmake-developers] [Patch] Add option "--no-return-code"

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Aug 18 10:45:02 EDT 2015

On 08/18/2015 04:30 AM, A. Klitzing wrote:
> Yeah, you are right. If ctest itself fails it should return non-zero.
[snip]
> ctest will also return non-zero because a testsuite "failed".

Right, it should not do the latter.

Looking through recent history the cleanup of return code
computation I mentioned in an earlier response does not appear
to be there.  I think similar discussion previously led to the
need for such cleanup but it looks like it was never actually
done.

The error and return code handling within CTest is fairly messy
due to historical evolution and incremental expansion of the
ways in which tests can be run.  As a start, one could look
at making ctest_test() not affect the return code just due to
a test failure.