[cmake-developers] Generator expressions for <archive|library|runtime> output directory

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Aug 10 11:48:29 EDT 2015

On 08/10/2015 11:29 AM, Robert Goulet wrote:
> could it be a problem of recursion?

Yes, that is exactly the problem.

> perhaps it would be better to check for recursion directly in
> the generator expressions evaluation

Some generator expressions do support recursion.  While some
checks may be useful there, I do not think that is the right
place to solve this particular problem.

The basic cmTarget methods that compute the output directory and
name need to check for recursion themselves and at least not crash
on it.  I explained the needed refactoring a few messages back in
this thread.  This will ensure that other future changes do not
find another way to introduce recursion.