[cmake-developers] Supporting monolithic and efficient CMake + Ninja builds for LLVM developers

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 19:38:27 EDT 2015

Chris Bieneman wrote:

> One big things I’m working on is improving the way we build our runtime
> libraries. These libraries are built for the targets that the compiler
> supports generating code for, so they can use different architectures,
> headers, and libraries than are used to build the compiler itself. CMake
> does a great job of finding libraries and constructing the compiler
> commands, and we want to leverage that instead of re-implementing it.

Right. You would need something like what this bug report tracks:

The design has not moved on from

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/10873/focus=10928

but the refactoring of cmake to make multiple configuration steps possible
is underway.

You could consider whether it is worth your while to put energy into
furthering that design. I think that with that and a way to specify the
compiler with a generator expression (the easy part), you would have a
working solution.