[cmake-developers] Distinguishing MSYS2

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Aug 7 09:21:24 EDT 2015

On 08/07/2015 08:33 AM, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> Finally, there's the consideration as to whether "MSYS2" implies you
> are using just the minimum amount of the MSYS2 shell or whether you've
> gone all-in with MSYS2

CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME should refer to the target application environment.
If you're building with the MinGW tools for Windows then the value
of CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME should simply be "Windows".

For Cygwin we have a CMake built to run in Cygwin and target native
Cygwin builds, and that CMake is completely different from the one
used for Windows builds.  The Cygwin CMake cannot be used to host
builds on Windows and the Windows CMake cannot be used to host
builds on Cygwin.

Does MSYS2 have its own runtime such that binaries can understand
POSIX paths like in Cygwin?  In that case there should be a separate
non-Windows CMake for MSYS2 just like we have for Cygwin.