[cmake-developers] A policy for Policies

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 10:00:34 EDT 2015

Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Actually I re-discovered this today in KDE4

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdelibs.git&a=blob&h=a9aecfd3&hb=dde411c1&f=cmake%2Fmodules%2FFindKDE4Internal.cmake#l349

KDE4 is 'done' from a development point of view. For several years there has
been mainly only translation activity, so updating to new versions since
then is not 'risky'.

There are still enough people currently active and caring about KDE4 to fix
the policy issues. Some of the fixing is done, but I think it's still
ongoing.

When it's finished KDE4 repos will use cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.9)
without setting the ancient policies to OLD and without relying on OLD
CMP0026 behavior. KDE4 repos may or may not trigger policies newer than
2.8.9.

I don't know if there will be new releases from the KDE4 branches. Even if
not, distributors can get the patches from the repos. So, for KDE4 the
problem of CMake policies becoming errors is lessened.

I'm not going to have time to design and implement end-of-life for CMake
policies, so someone else can pick that task up if so inclined.