[cmake-developers] [CMake 0011944]: CPackDeb: Support dependencies between components/Debian packages

Domen Vrankar domen.vrankar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 12:32:38 EDT 2015

> Please find attached the patch concerning the description per component,
> with the associated documentation, based on
> 75b0e1679c39ca824a4c49d9e1a2ae2b5f04ae06.

Applied with minor changes
- added component text from your other patch
- changed CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION documentation to more
accurately describe fall back options

> I will not move until you validate this patch and merge it to trunk, because
> otherwise I would base work on moving bases. Please note that this is only
> one of the features I need. On my side, I need two additional
> functionalities (shlibdeps + dependency per component).

Patch has to pass nightly builds and then it will most likely be
merged to master (merges to master are not handled by me).

Usually what I do in such cases is
- commit each patch separately to git
- when I have to change one of them I just save commit messages, call
"git format-patch -5 HEAD" where 5 is the amount of commits to the one
that I wish to change
- use "git reset --soft HEAD^" to undo commits
- "git checkout *" to undo the changes
- change the patch
- commit once again
- reapply other patches with "git apply --reject <path_to_patch>" (if
needed search for rej files and apply parts manually)

For small patches this works quite well and is fairly fast - mostly
without reject conflicts. For patches that were not split into smaller
ones this doesn't work so you're back to manual merge...

Thanks,
Domen