[cmake-developers] Probable bug in message output from Modules/Platform/CYGWIN.cmake

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Apr 28 16:15:00 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-28 14:22-0400 Brad King wrote:

> On 04/27/2015 05:53 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> Anybody here got a clue about what is going on?
>
> Please strip it down to a minimal example.  That will either find
> the culprit or provide a test case we can use independently.

Hi Brad:

The problem is I am reporting the problem second-hand, and I don't
have access to a Cygwin platform myself.  But from the report I
received the incorrect warning message occurs each time a different
compiler is enabled.

So this is just an educated guess, but I think the following minimal
two-line project (which enables the C compiler)

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0.2 FATAL_ERROR)
project(test_cygwin C)

would exercise the code in
$PREFIX/share/cmake-3.2/Modules/Platform/CYGWIN.cmake

and, it is that code that generates the incorrect warning message that
my reporter is seeing.

So please let me know if the above two-liner does provide that desired
test case for the bug, i.e., always generates the warning on Cygwin
platforms despite the above minimum CMake version.

By the way, the above order of cmake_minimum_required and project
commands is exactly the order used by PLplot if that order is
relevant to this issue.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin