[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015517]: documentation should give introducing version

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Thu Apr 16 11:01:30 EDT 2015

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                legalize
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15517
Category:                   Documentation
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2015-04-16 11:01 EDT
When writing a CMakeLists.txt, I might be using commands that are beyond the
minimum required version written in the CMakeLists.txt, but not realize it
because I have a later version than the required version installed.

I ran into this because I had CMake 2.8.10.2 installed, with a CMakeLists.txt
that said cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8) and used
target_include_directories which isn't an available command in version 2.8.10.2.
 So I looked at the documentation for the command, but it doesn't say in which
version the command was introduced.  If I knew the minimum version of CMake
containing this command, then I could adjust the CMakeLists.txt to specify the
true minimum required.  Even better would be if this information were available
in machine-readable format, then I could write a 'lint' tool for my
CMakeLists.txt that would flag this as an error  when my minimum version is too
low for the commands I'm using.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change