[cmake-developers] CTest update broken with non-ASCII filenames

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 02:59:27 EDT 2015

On 04/10/2015 08:16 AM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
>> Forcing UTF-8 might not be the correct way to go since people might be
>> using other encoding beyond ASCII and UTF-8.
>
> Yes.
>
> I wonder why you don't simply use "svn info --xml"?

Yes, I was pondering that as well but I was afraid of touching it.
The existing workaround covered all VCS (not just svn) and I guess we
should check if all svn versions that support the current approach also
support the --xml option (It seems to be there for all versions I can
check but I am not sure).

The coverage of VCS operations in CTest isn't that great that I would be
confident about it also given that the tests only run (only can run) if
the appropriate VCS are actually installed.

I was pondering to extend that too but I am not sure how to test things
like that in a system independent matter (specifically anything other
than linux).

e.g. testing svn checkouts with UTF-8 filenames would break on any test
system that did not have a compatible active locale / filesystem.

Testing with foreign locales (e.g. to cover messages in different
languages) only works if the system locale happens to be foreign already
and when translations are actually installed given that most test
systems are probably US without any foreign locales available(?)

Nils