[cmake-developers] What commit message will be used when merging topics from stage to next to master

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Apr 2 09:03:36 EDT 2015

On 04/01/2015 07:37 PM, James Bigler wrote:
> I have a topic that I pushed to stage, so someone else could take a look.
> At this point, it needed some fixing, so I made some changes to my local
> topic and pushed those back to the same topic.  When I push the topic
> into next and the testing passes, what checkin string will be used for
> change list summary purposes?

You can always do

 git fetch origin
 git log origin/next..mytopic
 git log origin/master..mytopic

to see what commits are not yet merged to either branch.  They will be
referenced in the merge commit message if you ask the stage to merge
for you.  If you never merged the topic to 'next' then you are free
to force-push rewrites before merging.  If part has already been merged
to 'next' (which AFAICS is not the case here) then you can merge the
fixup commits to 'next'.

Typically I will revise topics before they are merged to 'master' in
order to squash in fixup commits.  If you are really comfortable with
how Git handles merging then you can also rewrite topics that have
already been merged to 'next', force-push, and merge again so long as
the rewritten topic head content is identical to what was already
merged (just with a cleaned up history leading to the same net change).