[cmake-developers] [CMake] Windows rpath emulation

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Tue Sep 23 12:37:38 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 3:05 AM, Nils Gladitz <nilsgladitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/20/2014 11:53 PM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
> > On 20.09.2014 23:31, Roland Schulz wrote:
> >> it would be nice if there were a way to emulate rpath under Windows.
> >> As far as I can see there are two possible approaches:
> >> - Generate a shell script which sets PATH
> >> - Generate a manifest for the application and a manifest for the
> >> dependencies.
> >> http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/30019971/ has an
> >> example of how to do it.
>
> So I am thinking opt-in (target property) wrapper binaries that take the
> place of the actual binaries.

Why do you prefer that solution over a batch script or a manifest?

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Nils Gladitz <nilsgladitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/23/2014 03:11 PM, David Cole wrote:
> > What is the problem that this feature is trying to solve?
>
> Being able to run binaries with DLL dependencies within the build tree.
> Basically the same thing that the build time RPATH feature does on e.g.
> linux.

Why only for the build tree? Even after installing not all DLLs might be in
install folder. Or would you recommend to always copy all DLLs? Even things
like for e.g. for MingW the libgcc*dll?

Roland

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309