[cmake-developers] Alternate if() without implicit variable expansion

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:59:18 EDT 2014

On 09/05/2014 03:33 PM, David Cole wrote:
>> I was also thinking about setting up an alternative testing
>> infrastructure parallel to RunCMake which runs cmake in script mode
>> rather than performing configuration/generation.
>
> This already exists in a form in the Tests/CMakeTests/*TestScript*
> tests.
>
> An example:
> http://www.cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Tests/CMakeTests/StringTestScript.cmake;h=a562e71d38ff7db040e567f0ef9b899c2101bc9f;hb=ff1fddb0bf40b8a7170d54ccdc9420c2d7190472
>

> Any *TestScript* file also requires a "driving" *Test.cmake.in file and
> an entry in Tests/CMakeTests/CMakeLists.txt, but the infrastructure is
> there already. Actually, there are two infrastructures in that folder,
> but this one is similar to the one you're proposing.

I used the second infrastructure for the TIMESTAMP tests apparently.
Those feel similar to the tests in RunCMake e.g. lots of files that I
would prefer to combine into something more compact.

The other infrastructure I don't think I have touched but optically it
looks very noisy.

Having something that takes away repetitive tasks, more compact and
easier on the eye would be nice.

Nils