[cmake-developers] VS 2013 WindowsCE support

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Sep 3 11:16:38 EDT 2014

On 09/03/2014 10:53 AM, Bach, Pascal wrote:
>> Let's use a name specific to WindowsCE like "CMAKE_VS_WINCE_SDK",
>
> I'm not sure this is really Windows CE specific. There is already
> an internal variable CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_NAME that is set to Win32,
> Win64, ARM etc. This is also the variable that gets set to the SDK
> name. Currently this variable is set based on the Generator used,
> but there is also some other magic going on for example for Itanium.

The fact that the PlatformName corresponds to an SDK is specific to
WinCE tools.  Other platforms may not have such correspondence.
This is why I want to use a WinCE-specific name at first.  We can
generalize the name before merging the changes if it makes sense
when its role becomes clear.

> Would it be desirable to be able to override this value independent
> of the generator used?

I'm not sure what this would mean because the value is for a
specific field in VS project files.

> Based on your explanation and my findings above, the
> CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_NAME variable should behave analogues to
> CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_TOOLSET but I can't come up with a good
> name for a variable the user should set.

Yes.  What I'm saying is the fact that a user can select this
at all might be WinCE-specific.  Hence a WinCE-specific name.