[cmake-developers] iOS support

Florent Castelli florent.castelli at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 04:26:52 EDT 2014

Hi!

My company is organizing soon a hack week where each employee is able to
work on any project he wants. So, I've decided to work with Cmake and
improve support for iOS to help the product team getting rid of manual
project files, constant merge conflicts and bad project file documentation,
while improving our tooling possibilities (all that with Cmake!).

I've had a quick look at the first issue that popped into my mind the other
day and fixed try_compile by adding another variable to set the executable
type in the generated project (it has to be MACOSX_BUNDLE) and fixing the
search path for the resulting binary.
So this is now working... Providing we are targeting the simulator.
Due to the nature of Xcode projects that can easily target either the
simulator or devices, thus using different compilation flags, the resulting
projects aren't working in both case. There are conflicts between some
options like the minimum iOS version target and the minimum iOS simulator
target for example (which you need to build the try_compile binaries
without signing them).
Also, the Xcode support is very OSX focused and all variables have MACOSX
in their name, which is confusing.

So, has anyone worked on similar issues and can suggest a way to progress
and improve support for iOS?
In the end, I'd like to have a working Xcode project with separate settings
for both simulator and device, Cmake compiler flag detection working, and
possibly later Make/Ninja projects working too.

Regards,
/Orphis