[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015128]: FindProtobuf issues

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Sep 3 18:30:00 EDT 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15128
Reported By:                Orion E. Poplawski
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15128
Category:                   Modules
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2014-09-03 18:29 EDT
For the Fedora package build of ParaView, we need to use system libraries.  I
have been patching ParaView to use the system protobuf library (see
http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=13656) for a while now and am updating
to 4.2RC1.  With that I am now seeing issues with the interaction with the cmake
FindProtobuf module, due to the fact that it uses the optimize/debug list
convention and add -lpthread to PROTOBUF_LIBRARIES.

Part of the issue is the way it looks for a debug library:

   find_library(${name}_LIBRARY
       NAMES ${filename}
       PATHS ${PROTOBUF_SRC_ROOT_FOLDER}/vsprojects/Release)
   mark_as_advanced(${name}_LIBRARY)

   find_library(${name}_LIBRARY_DEBUG
       NAMES ${filename}
       PATHS ${PROTOBUF_SRC_ROOT_FOLDER}/vsprojects/Debug)
   mark_as_advanced(${name}_LIBRARY_DEBUG)

On Linux/Unix this generally finds the same library in the same path.  Changing
to:

   find_library(${name}_LIBRARY_DEBUG
       NAMES ${filename}
       PATHS ${PROTOBUF_SRC_ROOT_FOLDER}/vsprojects/Debug NO_DEFAULT_PATH)
   mark_as_advanced(${name}_LIBRARY_DEBUG)

helps with that.

I'm not sure what to do with the addition of -lphtreads.  Simply removing it may
be the way to go.  The paraview protobuf cmake configuration seems to add it to
protobuf_LIB_DEPS.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change