[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015126]: cmake issues -bundle instead of -dynamiclib when creating shared modules

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Sep 3 10:49:43 EDT 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                René J.V. Bertin
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15126
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2014-09-03 16:49 CEST
Last Modified:              2014-09-03 16:49 CEST
While building KDE's Calligra suite, I came across a cmake-related error causing
the linker to refuse to link in 'bundle' shared objects (intended to act as
plugins also) in x86_64 mode. Googling, I came across

​http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201009/msg00231.html where one
reads

"CMake is using -bundle rather than -dylib/-dynamiclib to build the asn1 plugin,
probably so that it'll work even on versions of OS X where you can't dynamically
load an MH_DYLIB."

AFAIK, that's a moot point since OS X 10.3 (or at least 10.4). Finding all
CMAKE_SHARED_MODULE_CREATE definitions in /opt/local/lib/cmake{,-3.0} and
replacing -bundle with -dynamiclib resolves the linking problem I encountered.

A patchfile is included.

Additional Information:
Tested on OS X 10.6.8 and 10.9.x, with cmake 2.8 and cmake 3.0 .

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42840

I thought I already filed this bug "upstream" (from MacPorts) but apparently not
here ...

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change