[cmake-developers] Initial Attempt at Green Hill MULTI IDE Generator Support

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Oct 14 09:57:16 EDT 2014

On 10/09/2014 07:36 PM, Geoffrey Viola wrote:
> Attached is a patch to make CMake generate files for the Green
> Hills MULTI IDE. These patches are in reference to this feature
> request: http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=14992.

Thanks for working on this.

First I've extracted the comment typo fixes from the second patch:

 Fix some spelling errors in comments
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=bef23e81

I've attached a patch rebasing the rest of the changes on 'master'
after integration of the typo fixes.

To aid others for review, please provide a high-level explanation
of the MULTI IDE, its target platforms, and how developers might
use it with CMake.

> There were some limitations. It has been restricted to Windows,
> because that is the version of the IDE that I have. There is a
> special grouping called a Monolith that includes several
> executables, shared libraries, and the kernel. These monoliths
> have their own set of compile options. I’m not sure how CMake
> would be able to create these. Also, there are some internal
> macros that point to the compiler’s target BSP and OS that are
> currently populated via CMake variables: GHS_CUSTOMIZATION,
> GHS_OS_DIR, and GHS_BSP_NAME.

Depending on the semantics, these may belong in
Modules/Platform/<os>.cmake for some <os> name of the target
platform.  We'll need a better understanding of their role to
say for sure though.  See CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT in Darwin*.cmake
for example.