[cmake-developers] $<BUILD_INTERFACE> genex regression

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 10:18:16 EDT 2014

On 10/10/2014 03:17 PM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
> On 10/10/2014 03:14 PM, Brad King wrote:
>>> I can work around this by wrapping the libraries with $<BUILD_INTERFACE>
>>> individually or by quoting the entire genex.
>>
>> This was the intended interface.
>>
>> I'm willing to regress this because:
>>
>> - It restores 2.8.12 behavior
>> - The quoting is easy to do
>> - It is very hard to fix this without un-doing all the other
>>    improvements enabled by the refactoring that broke this.
>>
>> I will add mention of this in the 3.1 release notes.
>
> Good enough for me, thanks!
>
> Nils

As a side node for post-3.1 development it might be nice to have the
Ninja generator properly escape the $ from e.g. those broken generator
expressions that leak through or alternatively have CMake produce an
error during generation.

As it is the generated build.ninja is invalid and my local Dashboard
(with launchers) showed all green for the configuration and build steps
since even though ninja itself failed none of the compile/build jobs ran
(and hence could not fail).

In continuous builds where stale outputs still existed from previous
builds there was no failure indication in the "Test" columns either.

Nils