[cmake-developers] Any ideas for accessing the Dart source code?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Oct 7 21:23:06 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-07 19:06-0400 David Cole wrote:

> Consider using CDash instead. It was Dart's "drop-in" replacement...
> and is actively maintained today.
>
> www.cdash.org

Thanks, Dave, for that information.

In reviewing why I wasted my time looking at the moribund dart rather
than cdash, dart clients are mentioned several times in the
ctest-2.8.12.2 documentation (and I missed the one reference to cdash
that also occurs there) so I did a google search, found
<http://www.cmake.org/dart/HTML/Install.shtml> and went galloping off
in the wrong direction.  :-(

I have now looked at the documentation for ctest-3.0.2, and cdash is
mentioned a lot more but then so is dart.  I think that documentation
should be updated to point users exclusively at cdash (possibly with a
reference to the dart protocol or dart standard but definitely not the
dart software which really is moribund or dart servers unless you are
referring to the protocol and not the software).

Furthermore, to prevent others being misled like I was by
<http://www.cmake.org/dart/HTML/Install.shtml>, could someone with
write access to that web server either drop that page or modify that
page so that it at least mentions that dart is no longer maintained
and cdash is the suggested alternative?

Currently http://www.cdash.org/overview/ does not mention dart at all
which is probably the best approach and what the ctest documentation
should do as well.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin