[cmake-developers] CMP0053 - "Simplify variable reference and escape sequence evaluation" - regression

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Oct 6 08:48:33 EDT 2014

On 10/06/2014 06:39 AM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
> CMP0053 warns/fails on "$ENV{ProgramFiles(x86)}".
>
> Could "()" be added to the legal set of characters when within an $ENV{}
> expansion?

We considered that case and decided to ask users to use a
nested variable reference for that case.  There is a similar
workaround in "Modules/Platform/WindowsPaths.cmake".

One reason is that adding more characters to the allowed set,
especially as a special case for $ENV{}, triggers extra tests
and branches inside a tight loop that is used everywhere.