[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015185]: Allow for partial customization of WiX.template.in

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Oct 1 11:09:31 EDT 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Richard Ulrich
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15185
Category:                   CPack
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             2014-10-01 11:09 EDT
At the moment I have my own copy of WiX.template.in in my project specific
Modules directory.
In the discussion of http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=15165 I realized
that it would be beneficial, if there was a way to only extend WiX.template.in
without having to completely maintain it myself.

* One approach would be to include a custom.wxi file in WiX.template.in and ship
an empty custom.wxi file that could be overridden.
* Another approach would be to extend the patching mechanism to the <Product>
tag. As at the moment it only work on tags that are generated by the cpack c++
code, it's not just a matter of adding an ApplyPatch() line in the correct
place.

Things I customized in my WiX.template.in:
* Product.Language="!(loc.LANG)"
  -> this could be tricky. It's not covered by both of the above approaches.
  -> shipping also a default lang.wxl file could make it work.
* Adding Components or ComponentRefs that need to be in the Product tag.
  -> this is the easy part, solved by both approaches.
* Adding a second UiRef (WixUI_ErrorProgressText)

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change