[cmake-developers] Cmake contribution for Open Watcom (patch)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Mar 5 11:36:34 EST 2014

On 02/28/2014 02:38 PM, Jiri Malak wrote:
>> FYI, you can run the test suite with the Open Watcom compiler
>> by configuring to build with another compiler but setting
>> CMAKE_TEST_GENERATOR and CMAKE_TEST_MAKEPROGRAM to be
>> "Watcom WMake" and "c:/path/to/wmake.exe", respectively.
>> Then after building, open a terminal in an environment set up
>> for Open Watcom and run "bin\ctest" to run the tests.  Add
>> options "-j 8" for parallel testing or "-R someregex" to
>> run a subset of tests or "-V" to see verbose test output.
>
> Thanks for hint, it is very useful.

After working that way for years, by coincidence I just changed
testing for Open Watcom to use another approach that will be
easier to generalize for other compilers.

Now after building CMake with another compiler, open a terminal
with the environment configured for Open Watcom and do:

 >mkdir CMake-ow-build
 >cd CMake-ow-build
 >cmake ../CMake -G "Watcom WMake" -DCMake_TEST_EXTERNAL_CMAKE=...

where the "..." value is a path to the directory containing the
cmake, ctest, and cpack executables to be tested, such as:

 c:/path/to/CMake-other-build/bin

Then run

 >wmake

in case there are any test-only binaries to build.  Finally run

 >ctest

to launch the tests.  The ctest -j/-R/-V/etc. options will still work.