[cmake-developers] [RFC] ctest: do not output "failed" when no tests failed

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jun 25 11:17:22 EDT 2014

On 06/20/2014 01:01 PM, Steve Dougherty wrote:
> When I glance at ctest output, even if all tests passed, my eye catches
> "failed" before noticing the other things, which gives me a start.
>
> I'm not sure if this is an appropriate change in the face of existing
> codebases which might have dependencies on the current message consistency.
> Would this be appropriate as an option, or if the log output is a TTY?

This is a reasonable proposal for discussion.

Maybe I'm just used to it but IMO it is more consistent to
have a field for the number of failures whether it is 0 or not.

I'd be interested in feedback from others on this.  The change is:

 -100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1
 +All 1 tests passed

We could also consider updating both pass and failure cases:

 100% of 3 tests passed
 33% of 3 tests passed, 2 tests failed
 0% of 3 tests passed, 3 tests failed

Either way, if we make this change the CTestTestSubdir expected
output also must be updated.