[cmake-developers] Compiler features/extensions remaining/future issues

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jun 13 09:39:15 EDT 2014

On 06/13/2014 05:19 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> However, that would mean requiring the user to install multiple files rather
> than just one. So, it might make sense to add a new signature
>
>  write_compiler_detection_header(
>    DIRECTORY "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/compiler_detection"

Installing directories can lead to leftover cruft in incremental builds.
The caller should pass in a variable to receive the list of files to
be installed.

> 11) WriteCompilerDetectionHeader vs GenerateExportHeader

IMO these two modules are solving orthogonal problems and should not
be mixed.

> 12) Platform-specific defines

Plenty of libraries already provide things like this.  Not everyone
agrees what "UNIX" or even "Linux" means.  I was hesitant to accept
WriteCompilerDetectionHeader in the first place because I never
wanted to get in the business of providing a C++ SDK.  It is
reasonable to re-use all the C++ compiler version and feature
info we already have, but I don't think we should provide more.