[cmake-developers] cost of usage requirements (was: Compiler features/extensions remaining/future issues)

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Jun 11 17:17:39 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:46:52 -0400, Brad King wrote:
> However, please look at improving the implementation to have
> something under O(n^2) complexity when the usage requirements
> do not actually depend on the headTarget.

I've added a branch on stage which contains a test for cmake's big-O
order in the number of targets. I'm not merging it yet, but if anyone
wants to test with it, feel free.

    linear-target-test

Please note that on a Core i7 @ 3.4 GHz the test currently takes 1100+
seconds. Feel free to remove the higher-end test cases to make the wait
easier. Unfortunately, the number of points is low, so the correlation
can be high while it looks obviously non-linear[1], so don't remove too
many.

--Ben

[1]https://bit.ly/1jl6IYt r² == 0.82