[cmake-developers] Compiler features/extensions remaining/future issues

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jun 10 12:57:11 EDT 2014

On 6/10/2014 11:30 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> I think
>
>   http://sscce.org/
>
> explains is quite well.
>
> I want to avoid having to understand all of the ParaView CMake code and that
> of its dependencies, and whether python bindings need to be enabled etc.

The real problem is that we need to have some regression tests in CMake
that test for these types of performance issues.  Right now we don't
have them.  Creating a SSCCE for the issues we are seeing would be doing
just that.

However, right now we know there are issues with ParaView.   It might
not be too much to ask for you to give it a quick try.  I am sure Ben
could give you the -D options for CMake since ParaView is pretty self
contained.   I think basically building ParaView with Python wrapping
shows the issue.  So, you will need python installed and they

> Ben, can you run your timing test with a commit before my topic and after
> it? Timing tests with master and your extra topics don't tell us anything on
> this question.

Do you think you could try ParaView and if you run into trouble give up
on it.  However, I would hope it would involve a git clone, and a
cmake -DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON=TRUE ../ParaViewSrc

In the mean time, I will see if we can work on trying to create some
better regression tests for CMake performance.

Thanks.

-Bill