[cmake-developers] Install in Build Tree

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jul 28 10:02:23 EDT 2014

On 07/25/2014 09:54 AM, Daniele E. Domenichelli wrote:
>> Some projects also arrange their layout within the build tree to look
>> like the install tree by setting CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY[_<CONFIG>]
>> and related variables appropriately.
>
> That's exactly what I would like to be able to do, but for "data files"
> as well, and at the moment that is possible, but not in an easy way.

Okay, that clarifies things.  The proposal in 15035 makes more sense
now.

FYI, CMake solves this problem for locating its own resources when
running in the build tree by looking for a file relative to the
executable whose content tells it where to find the resources directly
out of the source tree:

 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Source/cmSystemTools.cxx;hb=v3.0.0#l2187