[cmake-developers] CMake 2.8.12.201401116 is much slower than 2.8.12.1

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jan 29 09:22:48 EST 2014

On 01/29/2014 08:35 AM, Dominik Bernhardt wrote:
> I just tested it again with the latest master from today. For my
> particular project the configure step with the current master takes
> 290s. If I only replace the UseQt4.cmake in the master with the
> version from 2.8.12.1 the configure time goes down to 23s!!
> I'm also surprised that such a tiny change results in a slowdown of
> more than 1000%. But at least in my setup this is the case.

I explained here:

 http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake-developers/2014-January/009487.html

how the '$' in a value changes some core logic from a short-circuit
to a complex evaluation.  However, the question now is why does this
one COMPILE_DEFINITIONS property value get evaluated so many times
that it becomes so noticeable.

How many directories (add_subdirectory) and targets (add_library or
add_executable) does the project have?