[cmake-developers] WG: [CMake] CMake 2.8.12.201401116 is much slower than 2.8.12.1

Dominik Bernhardt dominik.lists at dokabe.de
Wed Jan 29 08:35:53 EST 2014

[...]
>> I'm surprised how this small change added a 20% slowdown.
>> -set_property(DIRECTORY APPEND PROPERTY COMPILE_DEFINITIONS_DEBUG
>> QT_DEBUG)
>> +set_property(DIRECTORY APPEND PROPERTY COMPILE_DEFINITIONS $<$<NOT:
>> $<CONFIG:Debug>>:QT_NO_DEBUG>)
>
> I tried this project on Windows with CMake master (my own build) and
> CMake (kitware build) and CMake master was slightly faster, then
> modifying UseQt.cmake made it slightly faster still.
>
> Dominik, if you are seeing a massive slowdown, can you narrow it down?
> It may not be generator expression related at all.

I just tested it again with the latest master from today. For my
particular project the configure step with the current master takes
290s. If I only replace the UseQt4.cmake in the master with the
version from 2.8.12.1 the configure time goes down to 23s!!
I'm also surprised that such a tiny change results in a slowdown of
more than 1000%. But at least in my setup this is the case.

Dominik