[cmake-developers] RFC: add version to project() call

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jan 28 11:27:59 EST 2014

On 01/28/2014 11:16 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
> I would vote for (2), that way people using the latest and greatest
> of CMake won't have to enable any variable and it will work out of the box.

No one has to set a magic variable in Alex's current design either.
The CMAKE_PROJECT_VERSION_SET_BY_PROJECT_COMMAND variable is set
and unset by the project() command automatically.  One need only to
set it when one wants to manually set PROJECT_VERSION after using
project(VERSION) in new code.  That seems unusual.