[cmake-developers] Preparing for CMake 3.0.0-rc1

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 01:34:38 EST 2014

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> On 2014-01-27 16:58, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Though I still don't like the behavior in the topic with project()
>> commands without a specified VERSION and the
>> CMAKE_PROJECT_VERSION_SET_BY_PROJECT_COMMAND variable etc. I don't see
>> why all the complexity is needed.
>>
>>  From what I understand, the reason it was added is related to using
>> add_subdirectory to add a self-contained/standalone project to host
>> buildsystem. These VERSION variables are not alone in 'conflict
>> possibilities' in that case. The 'sub-project' already may not use
>> CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR
>
> Huh? Of course it can;

You misunderstood. Consider

 configure_file("${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/common-config.h.in"
   "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/common-config.h")

> The reason for handling project(VERSION) specially was so that the
> parent project can start using project(VERSION) but arrange that the
> behavior of project() won't suddenly change within the subproject,

The nature of the the 'sudden change' is not clear to me/in the commit
message.

> I haven't looked at the actual commits;

The fact that the commits in the topic need to be rebased/squashed also
makes them harder to review in this sense, to understand the complex
behavior added. I wouldn't merge the topic in its current state.