[cmake-developers] Generators and Extra Generators

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Jan 9 11:50:29 EST 2014

On Wednesday 08 January 2014, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 January 2014, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> >> Is there a design issue here?
> >
> > I run cmake-gui and select the one I want from a list.
> > What is the problem, the length of the list ?
>
> More the combinatorial expansion along multiple axes to add a new type
> indicates a 'design smell'.

this combinatorial expansion can be avoided, internally the main generator and
the extra generator are kept separately, and the long list is basically only
generated for presenting it to the user and letting him decide what he wants.
This could be presented simply in a different way.
As I said, in cmake-gui in some way split into two widgets, and for the CLI it
could be split into -G <maingenerator> -X <extragenerator>.
This would need changes mainly in cmake::CreateGlobalGenerator() and
cmake::AddExtraGenerator().

Then it goes down from more or less m*n to m+n.

Alex