[cmake-developers] Generators and Extra Generators

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 18:11:41 EST 2014

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 January 2014, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> David Cole wrote:
>> > There's been a design issue since extra generators were introduced...
>> >
>> > The question is: is it possible to resolve it with a better design and
>> > still keep the existing functionality?
>>
>> Hence this mail :), and my mail to cmake.users about the "Kate Extra
>> Generator" being the wrong interface/design.
>
> Sorry about that.
> But it does something useful for me, and for other users of the (existing)
> kate project plugin.
> Since one of the core features of cmake is to create project files for
> IDEs, creating project files for kate doesn't look that wrong to me.

Creating useful files for kate seems reasonable to me too, but as I said
this 'extra generators' design doesn't seem optimal to that.

>> I'd like to see cmake generate all the info a UI would need in a simple
>> and non-tied-to-a-particular-implementation way. That would be something
>> Qt Creator and
>
> That would be nice.
> Once this format exists, IDE developers just need to make use of it.

Right, but if that doesn't occur to any of them, it will have to be driven
by 'us', to avoid 'us' having to deal with the combinatorial explosion of
generators and extra generators.

>> Kate could use as it would list the targets, the compile lines
>> for objects, link targets, link lines etc.
>
> Just to avoid misunderstandings: there is currently nothing in kate which
> uses such information, and as far as I know nothing is planned.

Perhaps more interesting to creator then - at least the compilation related
parts.