[cmake-developers] Generators and Extra Generators

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 11:37:11 EST 2014

David Cole wrote:

> There's been a design issue since extra generators were introduced...
>
> The question is: is it possible to resolve it with a better design and
> still keep the existing functionality?

Hence this mail :), and my mail to cmake.users about the "Kate Extra
Generator" being the wrong interface/design.

I'd like to see cmake generate all the info a UI would need in a simple and
non-tied-to-a-particular-implementation way. That would be something Qt
Creator and Kate could use as it would list the targets, the compile lines
for objects, link targets, link lines etc. As far as I know, QtCreator uses
the CodeBlocks generator because it contains all that relevant information
as an xml file.

It's almost possible to do that with a macro and file(GENERATE), but more
genex API will be needed for that. I think it would be fine/better to do it
in C++ implementation though anyway.