[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014696]: CMake does not add QT_NO_DEBUG definition for RelWithDebInfo build type

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Jan 14 04:52:45 EST 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Gerry Boland
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14696
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2014-01-14 04:52 EST
Last Modified:              2014-01-14 04:52 EST
In a Qt5 CMake project with code like the following:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.12)
find_package(Qt5Core REQUIRED)
target_link_libraries(${PROJECT_NAME} Qt5::Core)

Running with "cmake . -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo" I see that CMake does
not define QT_NO_DEBUG.

I interpreted the distinction between the Debug build type from the
RelWithDebInfo type as being that while RelWithDebInfo also does not strip
symbols from the generated binaries, it does allow developers to disable debug
helpers like run-time asserts or expensive printing statements. So for Qt,
setting QT_NO_DEBUG for RelWithDebInfo makes sense.

I'd like to know if my interpretation is correct before proceeding with a fix,
something like adding
    set_property(TARGET ${_target} APPEND PROPERTY
COMPILE_DEFINITIONS_RELWITHDEBINFO QT_NO_DEBUG)
to Qt5CoreMacros.cmake around like 246.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change