[cmake-developers] New EVIS parser moving forward (3.1)

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Feb 18 12:37:57 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:13:31 -0500, Brad King wrote:
> Environment variable names can contain '(' or ')', at least on Windows:
>
>  >set a(b)=c
>  >echo %a(b)%
>
> Perhaps this obscure case can be supported with nested evaluation though.

You can do it with the setenv(3) call in Linux as well, but bash doesn't
like it at all (env(1) can do it though). csh's setenv allows it too.
The fact that they were only supported when quoted (probably because of
the command-parser step) is surprising enough that I'd say we can just
use indirection to handle it.

--Ben