[cmake-developers] VS10-12 generators deserve much more love

Dan Cristiu moonstorm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 11:11:32 EST 2014

Good pointers thanks a lot. I can now also see the efforts for supporting
WinRT which I applaud. I would like to digress a bit if that's permitted.
The whole discussion has put me down a bit.

The current approach seems pretty stiff and leaves little room for
manoeuvre. When it comes to platforms for example, some are hard-coded and
others are specifically detected. I don't understand why there is a mixture
of them, and this mixture seems to be still promoted. Neither model
supports new platforms or I have yet to find a way to include them without
code changes.

Are there any plans to move onto a more extensible approach in the future?
Far away from project files which content gets created via code. Maybe a
template style approach whereby generators simply point to templates which
use the variables set up during the execution of the cmake scripts? People
could then create their local ones if they need to extend/customize them
and push them to an unofficial public repository where others could
download them, comment on them or improve them. Funny enough, even if these
templates were actually CMake script files it would make a huge difference.