[cmake-developers] add_custom_command differences in tests

Steve Wilson stevew at wolfram.com
Fri Feb 7 15:05:58 EST 2014

On Feb 7, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Steve Wilson <stevew at wolfram.com> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2014, at 10:12 PM, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 17:30:11 -0700, Steve Wilson wrote:
>>> I have my topic branch with the add_custom_command changes to include
>>> the CONFIG keyword working.    The CMake binary produced from the
>>> build will correctly generated build systems that have custom commands
>>> with the CONFIG keyword.   I’m having trouble writing tests for the
>>> changes though.   When I run add_custom_command with the CONFIG
>>> keyword in the test suite the CONFIG keyword does not work.
>>>
>>> I need a little guidance with the test suite.   I’m not super familiar
>>> with CTest so I’m not sure where to look next to find the problem.
>>> So my question:  Why would add_custom_command behave differently in
>>> the tests than in regular build system generation?

I have been able to determine that the code isn’t working because it seems that when running from ctest, cmake seems to be running in a configuration-less mode. Ie CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE/CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPE are not set regardless of the -C option passed to ctest.    I would have thought that the build configuration of the test would match the configuration set with ‘ctest -C .'