[cmake-developers] Preparing for CMake 3.0-rc1

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Feb 7 15:00:08 EST 2014

On 02/07/2014 02:34 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I guess this will mean that "minor" release are much more frequent than
> historically? (About as frequent as "patch" release in the 2.x series, I
> guess?)

Yes.

>> Future feature releases will then be numbered
>>
>>   3.1, 3.2, ..., 3.9, 3.10, 3.11, ...
>
> Out of curiosity, does this mean that 3.x will drop the convention of
> odd-numbered minor versions being developmental? (Actually, I can't
> recall ever actually seeing an odd-numbered minor version...)

The odd/even convention was dropped back when we converted to a Git
branchy workflow by commit v2.8.2~105^2~4 (New version scheme to support
branchy workflow, 2010-04-23):

 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=5bfffd6f

It's just that "2.8" essentially became the "major" version so
2.8.x have been the minor releases, including odd 'x' values.