[cmake-developers] Reduce output of install step

Kevin Burge kcburge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 09:51:07 EST 2014

At Brad King's request, I am posting this here.

I opened a feature request for reducing the output of the installation
step.  I don't think it is necessary (or even helpful) to output "Up to
date" for targets that are up to date during the install step.  There can
only be three outcomes to the install step: a) the target is installed, b)
the target failed to be installed or updated, or c) the target is up to
date.  I think it makes the most sense to just log a message for a) and b),
not c).  If we compare this to the build step, the build step does not
notify of targets that are up to date.

We recently switched to ninja which is extremely fast.  I never noticed how
much time I spent waiting for the install MESSAGES to finish scrolling by,
until I patched cmake and noticed the difference.  When building in emacs,
or remotely, this can be a significant amount of data going over the wire
(especially for a remote desktop session) for absolutely no benefit.

Thanks for the consideration.

http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=14757