[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014758]: Delayed de-duplication of include directories may cause huge memory usage

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Feb 17 07:52:20 EST 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Marcel Loose
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14758
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             2014-02-17 07:52 EST
Last Modified:              2014-02-17 07:52 EST
Since CMake 2.8.8 de-duplication of include directories is postponed to the
generation phase. This can cause serious problems if the number of duplicate
entries grows large.

If I understand things correctly, this redesign was made in order to support
generator expressions. Would it be possible to do immediate de-duplication of
entries that don't contain a generator expression?

Steps to Reproduce:
I haven't been able to create an easy to reproduce setup (yet). Any version of
CMake >= 2.8.8 will exhibit this behaviour.

Additional Information:
See the email thread
http://cmake.3232098.n2.nabble.com/include-directories-versus-set-directory-properties-PROPERTIES-INCLUDE-DIRECTORIES-td7586636.html

This issue is related to http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=14094.