[cmake-developers] Adding Release Notes

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Feb 4 12:06:48 EST 2014

Hi Folks,

I'm going to take the opportunity with the 3.0.0 release to start
providing formal release notes for each version.  This will make
it easier for users to follow noteworthy changes.  A nice place to
put release notes is in a "Help/release/${version}.rst" file.  This
will allow the notes to cross-reference other documentation and to
be published with the html documentation:

 Help: Add documents for release notes
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=70309e70

We can also use the Sphinx 'text' builder to present notes in a
format suitable for email announcements:

 Utilities/Sphinx: Add option to build 'text' format
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=34ea1f15

I'm working on the notes for 3.0.0 by hand but it is a lot of work
to put together all this information retroactively by reading the
commit history since the last release.  We need to spread out
authoring of release notes across the whole development cycle.
Therefore I've created infrastructure to allow each topic branch
to add a document containing relevant release notes:

 Help: Add documents to collect notes between releases
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=ccc87047

The per-topic release notes will be built as part of development
version documentation.  Then we can consolidate them occasionally
into a release-version-specific document to prepare the next
release.