[cmake-developers] [DISCUSSION] Using COMPONENTs for CMake install(...)?

Konstantin Podsvirov konstantin at podsvirov.pro
Fri Dec 5 15:13:38 EST 2014

Hi, Brad!

05.12.2014, 22:33, "Brad King" <brad.king at kitware.com>:
> On 12/04/2014 12:59 AM, Konstantin Podsvirov wrote:
>> In the source tree, you can see some of the components.
>
> The Debian packaging can serve as a good reference:
>
> cmake - cross-platform, open-source make system
> cmake-curses-gui - curses based user interface for CMake (ccmake)
> cmake-data CMake data files (modules, templates and documentation)
> cmake-doc - extended documentation in various formats for CMake
> cmake-qt-gui - Qt4 based user interface for CMake (cmake-gui)

I agree. My way of studying operating systems started with Windows
and I spend a lot of time here.
Then I was introduced to Linux and chose Debian.

>> For example:
>> -- tools
>> - cmake
>> - cpack
>> - ctest
>
> Yes.
>> -- scripts
>> - modules
>> - templates
>
> These are the Debian "cmake-data" package.
>> -- documentation
>> - manual
>> * html version
>> * man pages
>
> Debian packages the tool man pages with the tools due to their
> policy of having documentation available for all commands.
> Other manuals are in the separate cmake-doc package. For
> interactive installers I think we can keep all the docs in
> their own separate packages from the tools since the doc
> format could be made selectable.

It is understandable.

> The html and man pages could be placed in separate install
> components too.
>> -- according to
>> - Qt (only necessary)
>
> Separate components for each of the "ccmake" and "cmake-gui"
> interactive dialogs makes sense.
>
> With the above guidance please go ahead and work on the patch
> if you want. All the install() calls will need to be updated
> with the proper COMPONENT option(s).

I am interested this task. Perhaps I will start working on my server in a separate branch.
I will try to create a graphical installers using CPack IFW
generator.

At first I plan to submit for debugging and testing the compiled version in Debian stable, and Windows 7. Unfortunately I have no way to test this for Mac. :-(

Brad what desktop do you use?

>> Also I suggest to add in CMakeLists.txt option to control the
>> installation of dependencies with CMake
>> For example the Qt library. This happens on Windows and Mac
>> but I think it is not always necessary in Linux.
>
> This is a separate task, so let's focus on the components first.
>
> -Brad

Well. A separate task separate from the main :-)

Thank you for writing this letter. I was waiting for him.

Regards,
Konstantin Podsvirov