[cmake-developers] Which binaries should be required in FindLATEX?

Christoph Grüninger foss at grueninger.de
Fri Dec 5 02:35:33 EST 2014

Hi CMake developers,
yesterday I created a pull request with the attached patch. It was
rejected because it was not clear, whether we should really require all
these LaTeX related binaries.
FindLATEX tries to find, and I wanted to make them all required, these
binaries:
 LATEX_COMPILER
 PDFLATEX_COMPILER
 BIBTEX_COMPILER
 MAKEINDEX_COMPILER
 DVIPS_CONVERTER
 PS2PDF_CONVERTER
 LATEX2HTML_CONVERTER

I am unsure whether Brad is right or not. For users it would be great to
simply have all these binaries. I cannot imagine someone is installing
LaTeX without BibTeX or makeindex, as it does not make sense.
The minimal set I would test would be
 LATEX_COMPILER
 PDFLATEX_COMPILER
 BIBTEX_COMPILER
 MAKEINDEX_COMPILER

If this is still to restrictive, I propose to only test for the LaTeX
compiler and let the user check for the other binaries (with
if(MAKEINDEX_COMPILER) )

In any case, I'll have to clarify this in the documentation for my next
patch.

Bye
Christoph