[cmake-developers] FindMPI and Intel MPI

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 4 08:48:03 EST 2014

On 12/04/2014 05:16 AM, Alin Marin Elena wrote:
> I try to use findMPI with the new intel mpi 5.0.2 and their compilers.
> Unfortunately it seems to fail to correctly find the include paths.

There is also discussion of that here:

 FindMPI.cmake fails to properly detect Intel MPI 5.0.1
 http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15182

I've posted a link to this thread in that issue.  There is also a link
to a proposed patch in another thread on this list.  That may be a good
starting point to pick up.  IIRC the problem is that this Intel MPI
compiler does not return non-zero even in some error cases.

> The second issue I have seen is more a design issue. In the first
> scenario I used directly the wrapper, I think FindMPI shall test it
> and if whatever is in FC produces a proper mpi binary shall go ahead.
> the logic in lines 570-621 I think shall be changed, any comments?

If CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER is already the mpi compiler then of course
it makes sense to use it instead of searching for another one.

> I will try to work on it and propose a patch

Great.  If you work on it please address the Intel MPI problem first.
Then the design improvement can be added as a separate change.