[cmake-developers] ctest -j 32 hanging

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Dec 2 09:28:57 EST 2014

On 12/02/2014 09:10 AM, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
> One of the tests spawns a dbus-daemon.exe which was leftover, once I
> killed that ctest.exe finished too. Is this consistent with the expected
> ctest behavior?

This is a known limitation of the way CTest runs processes.  If a
parent exits before the grandchildren, and the latter do not exit,
then things get stuck because they keep pipes open that CTest is
blocking on waiting to be closed.  This is only a problem on Windows.

This limitation is left from the way things had to be implemented
way back when Windows 98 was supported to work there without polling.
The infrastructure update required to fix it is non-trivial so no one
has taken the time to do it yet.