[cmake-developers] How to get a nightly build process going.

dev dev at cor0.com
Sat Aug 30 16:09:27 EDT 2014

On August 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM Rolf Eike Beer <eike at sf-mail.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 30. August 2014, 16:00:34 schrieben Sie:

> > > No, you need CMake to run the dashboard. There is a bootstrap
> > > script,
> > > but you
> > > can't submit dashboard results with that.
> >
> > OKay, so the "nightly" process is on hold and I need to flail
> > forwards
> > and try to get cmake to just build and pass its own tests. That
> > brings
> > me back full circle to :
> >
> > 1 - it does not build and pass its own tests
> > 2 - no one really does work on Solaris with cmake
> > 3 - no one has a nightly process running such that work can get done
> >
> > So I am essentially caught in a catch 22 loop here.
> >
> > I may as well take a stab at step (1) again. Just to see what I get
> > from a checkout/clone of the git repo.
>
> Well, it only needs to "work", which you should have basically reached
> once it
> compiles. Then you can set up a dashboard and fix the tests.

The problem is probably in my own head because I tend to define "work"
as
the ability to completely compile AND pass a testsuite. Which means that
by that definition GCC never "works" but it gets pretty close.

Perhaps "close" is good enough for now however I won't actually install
whatever I have into a production system until it passes all the tests.

So for the moment I have :

$ /usr/local/bin/git clone --verbose git://cmake.org/cmake.git
Cloning into 'cmake'...
remote: Counting objects: 162805, done.
remote: Total 162805 (delta 124692), reused 157825 (delta 119979)
Receiving objects: 100% (162805/162805), 37.37 MiB | 953.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (124692/124692), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Checking out files: 100% (7410/7410), done.

What I need to do now is figure out a simple sequence of steps. I figure
I'll need to tar up that result and move it to a build area, then use
autoconf tools to generate a configure script or some such set of magic.

dev